Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Living to Live

Life is life wherever you go.

No matter what country you live in, human needs are the same. We all need food, water, and shelter. To attain these necessities requires access to them, which requires money, which requires work. We live to fulfill these essentials. So whether you live in Beijing, Mumbai, Rome, Buenos Aires, or New York, or a small city in Spain or town in West Virginia--life is life.

Like I was back home, I'm busy here commuting, working, grocery shopping, cooking, running to the bank, and cleaning.  I'm living just to live.  Sometimes while I'm busy trying to achieve one task and move to the next, I forget where I am. I forget that there won't be too many other times in my life that I'll be able to stop and sit down to pay 1€ for gourmet espresso and while an accordion plays in a distant plaza. That I'll be able to take a break from the computer in my office to view the Cresta de Gallo mountains. That I'll be able to follow an aroma on the street into a bakery for warm, fresh bread.

Days like today when I come home miserable with wet feet from walking two hours in the cold rain, I need to remember that I'm going to face and annoyances anywhere in the world. So I might as well accept them, realize that they're small obstacles in the world, and go grab a café solo while I'm here in Spain.

No comments: