Sunday, February 12, 2012

Spanish Sundays

The idea of "the day of rest" doesn't exist in the United States.  Corporate businesses killed it long ago.  But here in Spain it doesn't just live, it thrives.

One thing I love about this country is that every source of daily necessities shuts down on a Sunday: malls/shopping centers, supermarkets, pharmacies, and even the Corte Inglés.  Spending my entire independent life reliant on WalMart's late Sunday hours, this principle was difficult for me to adjust to.  But after a few Sundays of scraping food out from the back of my cupboards, I learned to stock up Saturday evenings.

But Sundays are doubly tranquilo in the winter.  Although the meteorologists claim Murcia isn't affected by this cold wave sweeping through Europe (I'm sorry Mr. Roker, but I'm typing this post in fingerless gloves), Murcia is feeling the cold.  Last weekend winds came in, bringing the temperature with below freezing.  So in a society where life takes place outdoors--social gatherings, lunches and dinners, family celebrations, and botellónes--streets, plazas, and parks are eerily empty.  Especially on a Sunday.

So what is there to do today?

This...


With everything being shut up and locked up, it gives me a perfect excuse to do nothing but relax all day, sitting on the sofa covered in a heating pad, sipping café, and getting caught up on overdue blogs.  (Ok, let's be honest--there's a good bit of playing PS3 and watching movies.  I'm not always that productive.  But when in Spain, right?)  Sundays are perfect for getting caught up on rest...and for recovering from late-night Spanish fiestas.

This is how Sundays are supposed to be.


My advice to a guiri:  For those of you living in older Spanish housing without heating like me, cómprate one of these...




...and enjoy a winter Sunday like the Spanish.

No comments: