Thursday, April 19, 2012

Trip Recap City #1: Valladolid

I'm back and rested from the gran viaje (to refresh your memory). During the trip you may have noticed that I posted a few pictures along the way. But now that I'm back and have uploaded photos with my nice camera (as opposed to my outdated iPhone that I was using). I thought I would rewind a bit and give each city it's own actual post.

We'll start with Valladolid.

I mainly chose to visit this city because I was curious to see how my life could have been. Let me explain. When I graduated from university, I applied for two jobs in Span: one in Murcia and one in Valladolid. Obviously I went to Murcia, but I wanted to see what the alternative was.

It was much smaller than I had imagined, so it had a small-town feel like Murcia--but with more of a Baroque touch. We went visited the cathedral, which was Gothic and one of the simpler cathedrals I've seen in Spain. But the ruins behind the cathedral were pretty impressive. We also walked by the university, which was virtually dead being Semana Santa, and visited the Casa Museo de Colón, which is the house where Christopher Columbus died that his been converted into a museum.


cathedral

facade of the Universidad de Valladolid

the university plaza

Columbus House/Museum





Valladolid was lovely, but I'm still glad I ended up in Murcia. Mainly because of the people I've met...and the weather and proximity to the beach. But most of all I'm glad I ended up in Murcia because otherwise I wouldn't have met this guy...




My advice to a guiri: If you get to visit Valladolid, check out the cathedral at night and try out the all-day menú del día at Herbe.

 

1 comment:

Kaley [Y Mucho Más] said...

A great Castilla-Leonese city, albeit one I've yet to visit.

My boyfriend's parents go to Murcia every year to do this mud spa thing. I know, it sounds weird, but just think of mud facial masks! I need to visit Murcia so this is not the only thing I know about!