Tuesday, July 3, 2012

2012 European Cup: No hay 2 ni 3 sin esta guiri

The Spanish national football team (yes, I've been living outside of the States and I now say "football" instead of "soccer") has a good luck charm.  Champions of the 2008 European Cup, 2010 World Cup, and 2012 European Cup.  What's the common denominator in all of this winning?

Me.

2008 European Cup in Cádiz
Ok, maybe I'm being a little assuming, but I do like how my fairly recent interest in football has coincided La Roja's success over the past four years.  In 2008 I spent a summer in Cádiz, and that's when I first started watching football.  At the time, Spain wasn't expected to win.  In fact it had been over 40 years since Spain had even won the European Cup.  That summer several times I squeezed into crowded plazas to watch ant-sized players run back and forth a tiny communal television.  In the end, Spain won the trophy.

In 2010, although I wasn't in Spain, for the World Cup, I supported Spain all the way through as I (impatiently) waited for my visa.  Maybe I wasn't jumping into fountains with the Spanish after the victory, but I was certainly cheering on the other side of the Atlantic, even more anxious for my flight.

And then this past Sunday, Spain headed to another final match in the 2012 European Cup.  I didn't follow this tournament as closely as I had in 2008, but I did once again stand in a plaza (only this time less crowded and with a bigger screen) to watch another Spanish victory.

2012 European Cup in Murcia
As a result of the infamous triple win, I would now say that I like football.  I certainly don't claim to be a true aficionada.  The "s" still slips out when I claim that a footballer is "offsides" instead of "offside."  I'm still fascinated by how famous Spanish club football players and coaches like Ronaldo, Messi, and Mourinho are pushed aside and forgotten during national events because they're not Spanish.  And I still anticipate more frequent commercial breaks while watching the matches.  But I would say that I'm more of a football fan than I was before 2008.  I'm especially a fan of La Roja.


My advice to a guiri: Especially for your American guiris...watch a football game with the Spanish.  No matter what team you support or favor, Spain has a hell of a good team.

No comments: