Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Come on Spain, you won the World Cup. You can do it. You can hire me.

So here's the game plan:

- I'm moving to Murcia, Spain at the end of this month to work as a teaching assistant at the University of Murcia. (Pretty exciting.)
- I'm going to teach English as a foreign language. (Awesome.)
- I'm going to learn more Spanish. (Even more awesome--if you don't know it yet, you're soon to find out that I'm a word nerd.)
- I'm actually getting paid for this. (Relieving...and way more cheaper than studying abroad.)

I'm really anxious to start this journey. Maybe a little too anxious. I think I need to cut back on my American vigor and promptness. Ever since studying abroad in Cádiz, Spain for five weeks in 2008, I've know that Spaniards like to take life slowly. While in Cádiz, I both respected and envied the Spanish lifestyle. But now it's time for me start living like a Spaniard, and it's been really challenging...especially while still living in America.

Here's why I have to start living like one now:

At the very end of July, I received an email telling me that I unofficially received the job in Murcia. I was ecstatic and anxious to start preparing for the job right away. Then I found out that the university was approaching its vacation--for the entire month of August.

So I've been here in the States waiting, rather impatiently, for the university workers to return. I need an official letter of invitation from the university so I can finally drive to D.C. and apply for my visa (that can take up to a month itself).

Come on, Spain. You won the World Cup this year. I think you can do it. You can hire me.

I'm just hoping the recruiters at the university don't take their time during their vacation and come back from too relaxed to go through the trouble of hiring an American. Maybe they'll hire a Brit instead because it would be easier to just snatch up an English-speaking EU citizen.

But I've been in touch with a professor from Murcia who is visiting Morgantown. She's going to help me out as soon as she gets back next week. She seems very efficient, so I have faith.

Lately my days have been spent running around town, opening new bank accounts, obtaining my international driver's license, turning in criminal background check forms, etc. I'm also subbing occasionally, trying to make a little money before I peace.

I'll keep you updated on my visa status.

¡Ciao!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome, Sis! I am worried yet excited for you. Love, Aunt Leigh