Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Going to the cine


I love going to the movies. When a much-talked-about film hits the screen I'll gladly fork over the cash to sit down with a tub of butter-saturated popcorn and form a critique of my own.

But after being in Spain for about a year and a half I've only made a few visits to the theater, and, therefore, have found myself out of the cinematic loop. Recently I was talking to my cousin George, the living definition of the term movie-buff, and quickly became ashamed of my ignorance to the recent Academy Award buzz.

The conversation went a bit like this:

Me: "Iron Lady? That's not a superhero movie about Iron Man's female companion?" 
George: eye roll

Or

Me: "The Artist won best picture? See, I just don't watch many movies in Spain because they're just not the same in Spanish."
George: It's a silent film, Ashley.

"Oh."

I continued to compile a list of excuses for my unawareness, but I also started to realize that there was, in fact, validity behind my resistance to seeing movies is Spain: I don't watch a lot of television to hear about new releases; popular movies come out a little later in Spain; and the cinemas don't serve melted butter with popcorn.

But the main reason for not frequenting the Spanish cinema is that all foreign films (yes, that includesAmerican movies) are dubbed. That means they're shown with Spanish voice actors speaking over the muted original actors, even the crying, laughing and singing. (In bigger cities English theaters can be found, but they're few and far between in the Murcia region.)

I think many English speakers would agree that it's just not the same...



So when I do go to the movies, I only like to see them in original Castilian Spanish. But that right there presents another reason as many Spanish movie themes are complex. Some of the biggest Spanish films, for example, directed by Almodovar or the "adopted" Spanish director Guillermo del Toro focus on very serious themes, as alluded by the movie posters:





I don't often find myself in the mood for these types of movies. And when I do, because they tend to have complicated plots, I prefer to watch them on my computer so I can rewind when I misunderstand something, which I so often do.  

(Note: I know that I'm making a huge generalization about Spanish movies here.  More light-hearted ones must exist.  I just can't seem to find them.  Recommendations, anyone?)

HOWEVER

One night Craig and I felt like going to the movies despite the aforementioned reasons. After going through the trailers of possible movies on  YouTube, we opted for the Castilian comedy Promociรณn Fantasma (Ghost Graduation).



I was a little hesitant because quick-witted comedies are sometimes difficult to understand in Spanish. I warned Craig that he would have to serve as a translator.

But I was pleasantly surprised when I understood most of the humor. I only had to lean over and ask ¿¿eh?? a few times. I laughed harder than most people in the theater, but it was mainly due to the excitement that I actually understood the quick lines. Even though I didn't have my fatal Carmike Cinema buttered popcorn on my lap, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

So maybe I should develop a new reason for not knowing what's going on in Hollywood--I'm catching up on Madrid and Barcelona films...well, de vez en cuando.

My advice to a guiri: It doesn't matter if you're out of touch with Hollywood. Head over to your local cine every once and a while and check out the latest movie. It may give your language confidence a boost.

And don't always judge a peli by its poster. 

1 comment:

Mother Theresa said...

I remember that aha moment of being able to understand the Spanish humor too. It was with the Almodovar film Mujeres al Borde de un Ataque de Nervios. We don't go to the cinema much either, in part because it's expensive, but I don't much like watching the dubbed version either. I'd rather wait until the films come out on DVD. And thank God for digital tv, now we can watch shows in the original English.