Friday, June 1, 2012

The big next step...matrimonio

In my previous entry I promised posts about Jersey.  And I'm sure those of you who already know about my trip have been waiting to be informed.  But before the pictures, videos, descriptions, and anecdotes, I need to provide a preface.

This year I've avoided included any posts that didn't pertain to my experience in Spain (being a Spanish-centered blog and all).  So while a British Channel Island of anglosajóna culture may not seem related to Spain, it certainly is to me.  Life is a series of interwoven events, entwining people and leading them from one course to another.  And the rest of my life, Spain will the be the root of it all.

Less than two years ago, in a classroom doorway much like this...


...Craig and I met as colleagues.  We exchanged besos, emails and teaching plans.   


From our first day at work together, our friendship immediately began.  We had the same interests, humor, and schedules...so it was a good thing we got along.

Sympathizing with the new guiri in town, Craig started to call me and inviting me to a party here and there for my first few weeks to help me get acclimated.  And every Sunday or so we would get together to plan our lessons.


Our friendship grew and we would get together outside of work more often.  But because of the circumstances at that time, we only remained friends, spending our time roaming Murcia and doing silly things like...


...seeing how many Pringles we could fit in our mouths...


and attempting to climbing trees with no limbs...


...but all the while admiring each other from afar.

Finally we gave in to fate, and a few months later we started dating.



And then things started to get serious.



In December he ventured across the Atlantic for the first time, met the whole family...



...and talked to my parents about marrying me.


So for months we planned, looked at visa processes, job options, etc.  We had everything pretty much figured out.  There was one thing missing.  The ring.

That's where Jersey comes in.

If you've been following the recent slow pace of my blog, you already know that back in April I visited Jersey.  On my first day Craig took me around this beautiful, beautiful island.  He showed me where he grew up, his school, his church, and finally, his favorite beaches, telling me about the significance of each place.

Finally we stopped a park at the base of a castle overlooking the sea with France in the background.  He started to tell me how that particular park didn't have any personal importance to him in the past, but it will for us from now on.  And that's where he got the grass stain in his knee and asked me.

So here are the pictures you've been waiting for.





The proposal spot

You know you're engaged to a Brit when celebrate the proposal with a cup of tea.

The tea room

The celebratory cake.  A pastelosa photo to conclude a pastelosa post.
So what's the plan?  Sadly in July, we will both leave Spain and part ways for a year.  I'll go back to West Virginia and Craig back to Jersey because the visa process will take about that long.  When Craig gets his visa, he'll move to West Virginia where we'll get married in 2013.

As the time is getting nearer, we're starting to dread our goodbye to Spain.  We'll miss the fiestas, siestas, and amigos, but it will always be a part of relationship.  It'll be the root of all.  And I'm sure we'll find a way to bring Spain with us wherever we end up in life.

My advice to a guiri:  Fall in love in Spain.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute story! That spot where he proposed is gorgeous.

Congrats on getting engaged. I spoke with your family last week at Lexi's grad party, and they said they're really looking forward to having you back. They also had only nice things to say about Craig, so I'm glad you found a good guy. Distance is hard, but with the right person you'll only grow stronger as a couple.

Hope you enjoy your last few weeks over there!

Your neighbor,
Ryan

Ashley said...

Thanks so much Ryan! This next year will be hard, but it will be completely worth it in the end. It's good to hear some encouragement.

Let me know when you're in the neighborhood!

Rosemary said...

All I can say in response to this post is :)

(Can't even say it; you just have to imagine the big, enchanted grin on my face.)

Ashley said...

Thanks Rosemary! I definitely can. I'll send one back. :)

Rosemary said...

Again, :)